Definition of Ragging
" Any conduct by any student or students, whether by word spoken or written or by an act, which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student."
Exploiting the students for completing academic task and financial extortion.
Any act of physical abuse including all its variants – sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health of a person.
Any act that prevents disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of other students.
Ragging is a cognizable offence and BITM will not hesitate to take stern action against offenders.
Measures Taken by BITM:
- Educating / updating the students enrolled in various programmes in the beginning of each academic session that there is zero tolerance for ragging.
- Strictly enforcing the relevant provisions of the UGC Regulations on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009.
- Each student as well as his/her parents/ guardian, are mandatorily required to submit separate undertakings in the form of an affidavit at the time of admission / registration to the effect that they are aware of the prohibition of ragging and the punishment prescribed both under penal laws as well as under these regulations.
- Anti-ragging hoardings, banners, billboards are displayed at prominent places including hostels, canteens, messes, cafeterias, buses, playgrounds, lawns, labs, workshops etc.
- Surprise checks of hostels/canteens/cafeteria/bus stop to be carried out regularly.
- A close and regular liaison is maintained with the local police to guard against the incident of ragging. FIR in police station on all reported ragging cases.
- All freshers are provided with separate badges. Daily briefing of freshers is to be carried out by counselors and coordinators.
- An anti-ragging committee of the students is also formed.
- Pursuant to the directives of the Hon’ble Apex Court and in the light of the UGC Regulations 2009, the University constitutes the Anti-Ragging Committees and Anti-Ragging Squads for overseeing the strict and meticulous implementation of all the directives.
- In case any student encounter ragging by any of the senior students, he/she is immediately required to contact the members of the anti-ragging committee, who will take an immediate corrective action and necessary proceedings will be initiated against the culprits engaged in ragging activities.
Punishment For Ragging:-
- Lodging FIR against offender.
- Rigorous Imprisonment for up to 3 years (under court of law).
- Fine up to Rs. 2,50,000/- (up to 2.5Lac).
- Rustication from BITM for varying periods.
- Expulsion from the BITM and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution.
- Cancellation of Admission.
- Suspension from attending classes.
- Withholding /withdrawing of scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing for any test/examination / placement activities organized by the BITM.
- Withholding of results.
- Debarring from representing the BITM College in any National or International meet, tournament and festival.
- Suspension /Expulsion from the hostel.
"You make a living by what you get; but you make a life by what you give"